A Paralegal is a professional assistant of the qualified lawyers in their official work, used in most of the jurisdictions of United States and many other countries. Paralegals have no official status in US as neither are they authorized by the government, nor any official agency nor they are officers of the court or subject to rules of conduct of the courts.
5 top skills for a paralegal professional
1. Reading & Writing – Excellent ability in reading and writing is the first and foremost tool for this professional as most of his day passes with these acts i.e. reading and writing the court documents, medical records needed to be filled in the court. The smallest mistake in writing or understanding a document may cost heavier to the client.
2. Detail Oriented – Be attentive to the details of the case as the legal cases are normally complicated. A proper attention to the details of the case is required while studying a document or discussing with the witnesses. Attentiveness of this professional will prevent any mistake in the proceeding of the case.
3. Tolerance – Tolerance is one of the essential skills for this professional because client is hiring you for his help hopes that you may understand his emotions, confusions and worries. It is he who has to understand the whole case patiently and assist the lawyer in pleading the case for the benefit of the client. So please keep smiling and act patiently.
4. Organization – Managerial skills make this professional an excellent and successful person for all i.e. client, lawyer as well as the judge. If this professional is mismanaged then nothing can be found in time and judges do not wait for you to get the file or documents available. Good managerial skill in this professional is one of the necessary tools as every thing will be arranged from dates of cases, documents, files and appointments so that nothing could be missed by you and your attorney.
5. Current – Keep updated is another essential tool for this professional as the technologies are advancing day-by-day and profession is not spared for that. He must update himself to the new laws passed, any change in court routines and rules. It is very important for a successful professional to be updated to the current situations in his field.